Skip to content

Travel Documents

To be re-admitted to the U.S. as an F-1 student, you must present the following documents:

1.  Your passport, which must be valid for at least six months on the day that you re-enter the U.S. If you recently renewed your passport, you may need to carry your old expired passport, too, if your F-1 visa is in your expired passport. 

2.  A valid F-1 visa stamp in your passport (except Canadians). In most situations, the F-1 visa must be valid on the day you will enter the U.S.  If your F-1 visa has expired, you will need to visit a US embassy and apply for a new F-1 visa stamp.

3.  Your currently valid I-20 immigration document with a recent travel signature on page 2 of your I-20. The signature must be less than one year old on the day you will re-enter the U.S. If you are on OPT, the signature must be signed within the past 6 months. If you need to request a new travel signature, make an appointment with your DSO.

You may wish to bring copies of financial documentation and your student transcript (or copy of upcoming semester's course schedule) as an additional precaution when traveling. If you feel you may come under increased scrutiny, you may want to get a letter from your department that says that you are a student in good standing with Wheaton College. Or, if you are on OPT, you can carry with you a letter from your employer showing proof of your current/future employment.

Vacation Terms
If you are preparing for your annual vacation term (typically the summer for residential students), we encourage you to read these reminders from the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) on how to maintain your status, what employment authorization you might need, and more!

You can access more detailed information on the Study in the States website for Traveling as an International Student