Skip to content


All F-1 international students who were present in the U.S. during any portion of the past calendar year are required to determine what tax forms they must file with the United States federal and state governments as a condition of your visa. This is true whether or not you worked in the U.S., gained income in the U.S., or received a scholarship during the past calendar year.  The deadline to file tax forms this year if April 15, 2024.

Please note: your DSOs are not permitted to help you complete your tax forms.

"Resident for tax purposes" versus "Non Resident for tax purposes"
The first step is to determine if you have lived in the United States long enough to file your tax forms as a "resident for tax purposes." If you have lived in the United States for "any part of more than 5 calendar years" you are considered a "resident for tax purposes."  Check this site if you have questions about residency.

Filing as a Resident for Tax Purposes
If you received taxable scholarships or income in the previous year, and are filing as a “resident for tax purposes,” you will need to complete the following forms: Federal 1040 (instructions here) and State IL-1040 (instructions here).
If you are considered a resident for tax purposes BUT did not receive taxable scholarships or income in the previous year you do not have to file anything this tax season.

Filing as a Non-Resident for Tax Purposes
Most F-1 visa students are not considered residents for tax purposes.

Tax filing instructions for Non Resident F-1 Visa students
All F-1 Visa students not considered "residents for tax purposes" (see above) must complete and submit the Form 8843. If you did not receive taxable scholarships or income in the previous year, this will be the only tax form you need to file.

For students with dependents, the Form 8843 needs to also be completed for each dependent and mailed individually.
For students who did receive taxable scholarships and/or income in the previous year, you will complete Form 8843 and send it with your other tax filing documents (see Federal and Tax state return forms below). 

Here are some of the forms you may or will receive for use when filing your taxes: 
W-2 (Wage and tax statement):  If you worked, you should have received a W-2 that provides information on how much you were paid and any tax that was withheld. You will need to submit a copy of this with your tax returns.

1042-S (Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding):  This form will be provided by the College to report any scholarship you have received that may be taxable (e.g. payments for room/housing expenses, textbooks, etc.).  These are sent out by March 15th. You will need to submit a copy of this with your tax returns.

1098-T (Tuition Statement):  This form provides information on how much tuition you paid to attend Wheaton College.  You received an email from Student Financial Services ( Your 2019 1098-T form is available in the Billing and Payment Gateway accessed through your student portal. On the home page under Statements you will see your latest 1098-T Tax Statement and you can click on the View Statements button to view and print your tax form. Keep this for your records. 

If you received any other forms with tax information, please keep these for your records and only submit a copy with your tax return if the instructions on the form require you to do so.
How to file a Federal Tax Return
  • Use Sprintax Online Tax Preparation Tool (Recommended)
    • Receive a Sprintax code by emailing your DSO. You can purchase a Sprintax code from your DSOs for $12.95 – a savings of $39. This code can only be used by F-1 students who are filing Non Resident tax forms. The code will cover the cost of preparing your Federal tax forms. You can choose to pay extra to have Sprintax prepare your state taxes.
    • If you use Sprintax to complete your Federal Tax Return, it will prepare your Form 8843 for free!
  • Do it Yourself
  • ​Consult with a tax professional 
How to file a State Tax Return
  • Use Sprintax Online Tax Preparation Tool (Recommended)
    • You will need to pay approx. $37 to use Sprintax for this form
  • Do it Yourself (using a completed Federal Tax Return)
  • Visit a VITA site  for a free tax preparation appointment (make sure to inform the volunteer that you are an F-1 visa holder)
  • ​Consult with a tax professional
What if I don’t have a Social Security Number? (needed if you are filing Federal or State Taxes)
  • Apply for a ITIN number (Individual Tax Identification Number)
                        (note—different than federal tax return address) 
                                    Internal Revenue Service
                                    Austin Service Center
                                    ITIN Operation
                                    P.O. Box 149342
                                   Austin, TX 78714-9342
  • Sprintax can also help you with this at a cost