Completion of Program Options
Options If You Are Graduating By The End Date On Your I-20:
1. Depart the US- Stop working (by program end date) and make arrangements to leave the country within 60 days of completing the course of study. If you have a U.S. Driver's License, please note that it typically expires on your program end date.
2. Pursue further studies- Continue in F-1 status by pursuing further F-1 studies either at the same institution or another school.
3. Apply for post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT)- Engage in up to 12 months of employment to gain practical experience in your field of study. Important Note: You cannot start work while waiting for OPT approval/EAD. You can also use take your EAD to the nearest secretary of state facility to extend the dates on your Driver's License (expect to pay a renewal fee).
4. Apply for a Change of Status- Pursue to change your status from F1 to another nonimmigrant classification.
Options if You Are Not Graduating By The End Date On Your I-20:
1. Extend your program end date- this requires DSO approval and must be done before your program end date. Start the application for this process by selecting the "Apply Now" button below. Even if this option is only a possibility (for example, you are concerned you might fail a class in your final semester), please meet with your DSO to discuss your options.
2. Withdraw from the program- Notify a campus DSO immediately if you are unable to continue your education at Wheaton College in order to notify SEVIS within 21 days of the event, and discuss your options to do so.
3. Failure to Maintain Status- plan to depart the US immediately if you are dismissed from your program of study. There is no grace period for departure in this case.