Skip to content

Summer Employment

Many F-1 students plan to spend the summer breaks in the United States and get a job.  

At Wheaton College, it is most common for F-1 students to work on campus.  You are able to work up to 40 hours (full-time) during the summer break.  Many students are offered research assistantships, but there are also positions available at Honey Rock, Facilities or Conference Services. The best way to find a campus job is by searching via Handshake (log in with your NetID and password) or by looking for posters around campus starting near Spring Break. 

If you have an option to work off campus in a job or internship that is related to your field of study, you may be able to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT).  This is a type of work permit that allows you to work legally off-campus.  You can refer to the tab on CPT under the Employment menu from our home site for more information.

Please read further on the Study in the States website which has more information about working in the U.S. during the summer.